There may not be enough snow on the ground to ski, but there is more than enough to suffer. The Wasatch Citizen Series is back for another round this year with the first race taking place early Thanksgiving morning, which will give you an excuse to pig-out later that day. The bulk of the Citizen Series races are casual Tuesday night affairs which start around 8:00pm, or whenever everyone admits that they are ready to go. The races vary from traditional touring type of loops to a series of short climbs or a random team event or two. They are a lot of fun in a dark, lung searing kind of social way. Not only are Andy and Jason Dorais partially to thank for organizing these events, but they also set such a mean pace that I have to thank them for helping break me of my competitive spirit as there is no way in hell I could catch them or any of the top racers. As such, I just show up in regular ski clothes, stay warm and have fun, which my lungs thank me for ( I swear I did irreparable frostbite damage to them at a very cold Jackson Hole race years ago).
There are two new additions to the Utard race scene this season. One is a spanky new website, UtahSkiMo.org which has all of the race dates and times, as well as some great how-to tutorials. The other addition is a requested annual membership fee of $30 to cover insurance for the night series races. It is voluntary, but failure to pay will bring you bad navigation karma in the middle of the night, or a mysterious headlamp failure.
For 2013/14, the schedule looks like this:
- NOV 28 Thursday: Thanksgiving Race – Race #1 @ Brighton Ski Resort 8:00 – 10:00 am
- DEC 3 Tuesday SkiMo Evening Race – Race #2 @ Brighton Ski Resort 7:00 – 9:00 pm
- DEC 17 Tuesday: SkiMo Evening Race – Race #3 @ Brighton Ski Resort 7:00 – 9:00 pm
- JAN 7 Tuesday SkiMo Evening Race – Race #4 @ Brighton Ski Resort 7:00 – 9:00 pm
- JAN 21 Tuesday Outdoor Retailer Show SkiMo Race – Race #5 @ TBD 2:00 – 4:00 pm
- JAN 28 Tuesday SkiMo Evening Race – Race #6 @ Brighton Ski Resort 7:00 – 9:00 pm
- FEB 11 Tuesday SkiMo Evening Race – Race #7 @ Brighton Ski Resort 7:00 – 9:00 pm
- FEB 25 Tuesday SkiMo Evening Race – Race #8 @ Brighton Ski Resort 7:00 – 9:00 pm
- MAR 7 Friday Wasatch Powder Keg Sprint Race @ Brighton Ski Resort 4:30 – 6:00 pm
- MAR 8 Saturday Wasatch Powder Keg @ Brighton Ski Resort 7:30 am – 12:30
- MAR 9 Sunday Wasatch Powder Keg Technical Teams Race @ TBD
The best way to stay informed about races is to subscribe to the email list on the race schedule page of Utah Ski Mo.