From the Friends of Flagstaff organization (www.friendsofflagstaff.com)
Please take a moment to write Mayor Pollard (email@example.com) expressing your opposition to construction of this lift. A simple statement stating you are opposed to this lift is fine, but more detail would be very helpful. Listed below are some useful talking points.
1. Skier compaction of the proposed area would require significantly more skier volume, and therefore require huge parking expansion, as well as increased highway traffic.
2. Cumulative watershed impacts from a lift is inevitable and includes access roads, a skier bridge, snow making, and an unprecedented volume of people in Silver, Days & Cardiff Forks.
3. A lift would turn upper LCC into a pay-to-play resort. Alta does not allow uphill travel. The shared use of upper LCC between BC users and resort skiers would be lost. An important aspect of skiing heritage (hiking for turns) would be eliminated from the region.
4. Dwindling BC experience in the face of massive population growth.
5. UDOT has said they are planning to replace the gun tower on Peruvian Ridge with a howitzer which has plentiful, quality ammunition. This provides ample time to study lift alternatives.
6. The area to the north Flagstaff Mt. is some of the best BC riding in the US and is a mecca for utah residents and visitors. A lift would virtually eliminate this area as a BC option.
Your assistance on this matter is crucial. We can not stop this lift without your help. We hope to keep you appraised of developments as they arise.